How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37852
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister and I years lived in a single family unit

Customer Question

My sister and I for 35 years lived in a single family unit house in GA. We added an addition for her family to live in. It is Not a Duplex, and in joined by an inside portal.
We both now live in other states, but have kept the house as a single family unit.
She rents out a part of the house, while I rent out another part, as Tenants in Common for over 35 years. Gerogia County is now questioning our rental ability.. I am now in final stage of buying her interest out. Can I continue to rent to 2 parties, after I buy her interst out ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.
You legally own a single family home. While you could in theory have a roommate situation where you rent out bedrooms and everyone has access to the rest of the home, you may not treat it as a duplex and rent out half the home to one family and half to another.
Based on what you appear to be doing now, you would have to have the county/city qualify your place as a duplex or get a permit to allow the addition to be deemed a mother in law quarters.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Related Real Estate Law Questions