Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

My condo association just voted to raise condo fees from $200-$240,

Customer Question

My condo association just voted to raise condo fees from $200-$240, in other words, 20%. They also did an assessment of $500 per unit to cover plowing costs debt incurred in from last winter. I am unemployed and this represents a real hardship for me. Can they legally do this? If so, do I have to comply? Thanks!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Legally speaking any HOA is 'self-regulating'. That means that yes, provided that the vote is valid under your bylaws, they can indeed raise fees and yes, file for an assessment. This is legal because they have the power to regulate themselves, issues fines and raise fees. And yes, you do have to comply--otherwise they can pursue you with fines, legal fees, and potentially even file a judgment against you for the costs owed plus all the additional costs stemming from filing and collections.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.