Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I rent out a small apartment where I live. The applicant wants

Customer Question

I rent out a small apartment where I live. The applicant wants to move in right away and so we met last night read through the lease agreement. She knew I planned to enter the apartment this morning to finish cleaning and she wasn't supposed to start moving in until later today. This morning when I entered the apartment I saw that she had already assembled a bed. The lease agreement says in several places that not to scratch the wood floors. We performed a walk through. She agreed the floors are in good condition. But now, because she moved in late last night and assembled the bed the floor has numerous scratches. We have one last thing to add to the lease, which is the length. She expects to stay close to a year and now I would prefer she not move in (but its probably too late for this). What do you reccommend? Can I make the lease for three months, or just ask her to find another place (and give her 30 days notice), or something else? Please advise.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. To clarify, please:
1) WHEN was the lease to start officially?
2) Did both parties sign the lease?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.