RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

We have been in a home free of charge 30 years. The

Customer Question

We have been in a home free of charge for over 30 years. The owner passed away 2 years ago. The son inherited and we are worried about our future. Do we have any rights to our home.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Can you share with me why the owner allowed you to live there for free? Has the son contacted you and ask for you to pay rent or vacate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are the farm managers on a farm owned by absentee owners. The son is 59 years old, we have known him for about 35 years and get along well with him. He has given us no indication that anything will change. However he has given us no indication of anything at all. Up until early June we had only spoken with him for about 10 minutes since his parents died. In early June we had a positive conversation with him. We know him well enough to know that the only thing that matters to Barry is Barry. He doesn't focus well and has no interest in things that don't interest him i.e.... the farm. So we have lived our lives in complete upheaval for the past couple of years. I thought of his father as the father figure in my life and I mourned horribly when we lost him. I struggled with depression for about a year and suffered a stress induced minor heart attack. There are also signs that my husband may also have had a heart attack. He is scheduled for cardiac appoints this month. We just don't know where we stand on our job, our home or our future. If he does ask us to leave how long do we have to move out? Are they allowed to examine the house without notice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do we have any rights? There has never been any documentation concerning the house. No contracts, no value toward our salary etc...
Good morning and thank you for getting back to me. As far as your jobs go, if this is an employee/employer relationship, you just need to ask him if he is going to allow you to maintain and live on the property in the capacity of a farmhand. It does not sound as though he is going to sign an employment contract with you but you need some direction as far as your job status, if you are concerned he may bring someone else in. Now, as far as the home which you reside in, he is the owner. If he wants to enter the home to inspect it, he would need to give you reasonable notice. He can not just show up and ask to come in your home and look around,whenever he feels. As such, if he decided he wanted you out of the home, he would need to give you the proper notice to vacate and if you failed to leave at that time, evict you. You would likely be given at least 1 months notice, if that were to happen. Based upon what you shared above and what you are going through with health related issues, it really is best for peace of mind to speak with him and see where he stands and explain your situation, so there is no uncertainty. Even though you have had a great relationship with the father prior to his passing, it does not mean the son will share the same views. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!