Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If I buy a rental property that has an unpermitted garage conversion

Customer Question
that is being used as...
If I buy a rental property that has an unpermitted garage conversion that is being used as a bedroom and there is a fire in the house and someone gets injured or God forbid killed in that room, would I be negligent or otherwise liable because it wasn't a permitted bedroom, everything else being equal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/7/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Yes, this scenario could lead to an a cause of action against the landlord for "premises liability" - it would not automatically make them liable for the injury or death, but it certainly could be used as a factor in leading to this additional liability.
So were the garage conversion permitted and otherwise up to code, I could *not* be help liable for premises liability, everything else being equal?
If everything is done up to code, the landlord should not have this type of issue.(even if the two construction projects are identical in structure, but one is permitted and one is not, the one that is not permitted will cause the landlord more problems in the event of a loss than the one that is properly permitted).
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer