Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

We have been contacted by an attorney representing an oil company.

Customer Question

We have been contacted by an attorney representing an oil company. Evidently we are the heirs to a small percentage of mineral rights in texas. The attorney wants us to sign a lease he has prepared. Article 1 of the lease states:
"1. Lessor, in consideration of Ten Dollars ($10.00) and other valuable consideration, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, and of the covenants and agreements of lessee hereinafter contained, does hereby grant, lease and let unto lessee the land covered hereby for the purposes and with the exclusive right of exploring, drilling, mining and operating for, producing and owning oil, gas, sulphur and all other minerals (whether or not similar to those mentioned), together with the right to make surveys on said land, lay pipe lines, establish and utilize facilities for surface or subsurface disposal of salt water, construct roads and bridges, dig canals, build tanks, power stations, telephone lines, employee houses and other structures on said land, necessary or useful in lessee's operations in exploring, drilling for, producing, treating, storing and transporting minerals produced from the land covered hereby or any other land adjacent thereto."
We do not own the land coinciding with the mineral rights – and have told the attorney. We don't know how we can grant him surface right privileges and can we be sued by either his client or the land owner for misrepresenting that we are in a position to grant them these privileges?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
can we be sued by either his client or the land owner for misrepresenting that we are in a position to grant them these privileges?
Yes.
It is best to MAKE SURE one has the right to grant such rights. If not, then one can be:
1) SUED BY THE PARTY THAT DOES HAVE THAT RIGHT for fraud, nuisance, trespass, and other such actions; and
2) SUED BY THE OIL COMPANY for fraud, breach of contract, and related actions.
As such, it is best to confirm ownership and right to do this before signing anything.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.