Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a question about my situation. I have lived in a rent

Customer Question
Hi I have a question...
Hi I have a question about my situation. I have lived in a rent control apartment in San Francisco for 10 years. My landlord is trying to sell it. What are my rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
May I have a response to this question?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Your lease transfers to the new owners. The property remains subject to rent controls. The only exception is if the building is being converted to condominiums (but there are still some limitations there, and you have to get either a one-year lease or 120 days notice plus relocation payments before they can ask you to leave).
As far as showing the property goes, the landlord does have a legal right to enter in order to show the place to a prospective buyer. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1954. However, they are only allowed to enter during regular business hours. They're also required to give at least 24 hours written notice prior to entering, giving the date and approximate time they'll be there. Beyond that, your rights as a tenant do not change when the property is sold.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer