Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am on the HOA Board of a 54 unit condo property in Dallas,

Customer Question
Texas. Our covenants restrict...
I am on the HOA Board of a 54 unit condo property in Dallas, Texas. Our covenants restrict rental properties to no more than 20% of the units. We are currently at 22%. We are aware that if we were to get to 30% it would be very difficult for a homeowner to sell their unit as most mortgage companies would not finance a unit in a property with such a high rental percent. Here are my questions.
One, can we legally restrict HO's from renting or hold the rentals to 20%?
Two, if we were to ever let the percentage get above 30% and a HO was unable to sell as a buyer could not obtain financing would the HOA Board be legally liable for HO's inability to sell as their buyer could not obtain mortgage financing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/2/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Of course. While it may be problematic to break tenancies that already have been signed and the HOA looked the other way, future tenancies that would force the percentage past 20% can simply be denied and the HO explained that per the covenants, the HOA has no choice. If they press why the HOA has allowed others but not them, the HOA can explain that it has made the decision to strictly enforce covenants going forward.
Not likely. This is a stretch. At best, ***** ***** can be claimed to have been negligent. The elements of a negligence cause of action are (1) The defendant owed a legal duty to the plaintiff, (2) The defendant breached that duty, and (3) The breach was a proximate cause of the plaintiff's personal injury or property damages. D. Houston, Inc. v. Love, 92 S.W.3d 450, 454 (Tex.2002).
They may be liability if the HO can show that they protested and tried everything possible to get the HOA to act and enforce the covenants, but it did not. IF SO, then there may be some liability, but even then it is up to the jury and this would be a very hard case to proof.
If they simply stood by and let this happen without protest, then their case would be even more weaker, arguably.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law