Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been contacted by the utility company and was advised…

Customer Question
I have been contacted by...
I have been contacted by the utility company and was advised by letter that a utility pole on my property will be use to grant electric services to my neighbor.
I have a ten foot utility easement insisde my property line, but the utility pole is not in the easement and it is clearly shown on my property survey.
Are they allowed to acesss the utility pole on my property, which is clearly outside of the easement on my survey to grant my neighbor electric service?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/2/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How long as that utility pole been there? I am asking because even though it may not be on the utility easement directly, the time it has been in place could have created an easement by prescription if the pole belongs to the utility company.