Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor wants easement from our property

Customer Question
for utilities but his property...
My neighbor wants easement from our property for utilities but his property is not land locked. He has access to main road compare to ours inside street.
I guess it will cost him lot more money if get utilities from main road compare to our street which is closer to back side of property. Also probably he does not want to lose his piece of property for future construction.
can city force us to allow him access for utilities?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The utility companies can do so if the utility company proves that the most practical way the the utility company to make the connection is through the back. Legally, a utility easement can be granted by operation of law out of necessity. However, you can dispute the easement by proving the alternative without going across your property is sufficient and thus going across your property only.