CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I have someone I helped out when they got out of jail. they

Customer Question

i have someone I helped out when they got out of jail. they have lived in my guest house for 1 1/2 years not paying anything. we have given her a written 3 mo. notice to move and she is still looking she says. she has paid no money to use for rent, utilities or any thing else. she claimes she is disabled and does get money for it and food stamps . how do we get her out.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You need to go to court and file an "unlawful detainer" against her (you have already done the first step - giving her a formal notice of termination - but now you need to go to court and get the court order).Below is the basic overview of the process you need to follow:Terminating a tenancy-1) Notice: The first step in any termination is giving notice, the landlord can simply give notice that they no longer want the tenant to live there (this is usually 30 days, or 60 days, and it can be done for no reason whatsoever, there is no fault, and while the tenant must relocate, they are not being "evicted" and there is no blemish on their rental history), they can give a "notice to pay or quit" (usually 3 day or 5 day depending on the state, and the tenant has this amount of time to pay rent that they missed or move out), "notice to "cure or quit" (the tenant has breached the lease - broken something, noisy, etc. and must stop it or fix it within the notice period, again 3 days, 5 days, or 10 days), or a "notice to quit" (this is a 3 day or 5 day notice that says the tenant has messed up so badly they can do nothing but move out within the notice period - there is no chance to "cure" - this often happens when there is illegal activity on the property). 2) Unlawful detainer/forcible entry and detainer (this is the legal proceeding where the landlord goes to court and sues the tenant to get possession - the tenant has an opportunity to appear and defend the action, common defenses include improper notice, breach of the lease (such as failure to maintain the property - "inhabitable conditions"). If the tenant answers the complaint, the parties can take "discovery" from one another and get additional information before a court trial before a judge. 3) A judgment of possession/writ of eviction - if the landlord wins the trial, they get a judgment of possession and the court will issue a "writ of eviction." 4) Forcible eviction - this happens when the Sheriff or Constable serves the writ of eviction - some jurisdictions give a courtesy notice the day or two before the eviction, others do not, but the end result is the sheriff overseeing the landlord's movers removing all of the tenant's possessions from the property and placing them on the curb, and the tenants are forcibly removed from the property. At that point, the landlord can change the locks and the tenant can no longer return (They have been "evicted").Here is a link to a paid website that has forms and information for landlords that has all of the information you will need in one place: http://www.landlordguidance.com/eviction-notice-forms/hawaii-eviction/. If you anticipate this being a problem, you may want to consider hiring a local landlord/tenant attorney to represent you in this matter - they do not charge a whole lot of money and they will help you make sure that the eviction is done correctly the first time, so you can avoid some of the time and hassle associated with the litigation process.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).