How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sad but true...about 5 years ago my daughter moved to a small

Customer Question

Sad but true...about 5 years ago my daughter moved to a small Montana town, married the art director of the local community theater, assumed management of the theater, and asked my wife to become her costume designer. We lived in Colorado in a home that was borderline underwater and couldn't afford a second home in Montana, so we sent her $16,000 down payment to buy a little house that was available, and we moved here planning to one day leave them this house. We paid for a new roof, landscaping, fence, new appliances, etc., etc. Now I learn that my son-in law is using this house as his piggy bank, has opened a line of credit against it, and is threatening to sell it. (We bought it for $70,000 and a recent appraisal came in at $180,000). I have tried to buy this house but cannot because of his equity loans.
Do I have any legal rights? I realize the house is in his name, but he's never put a nickel into it. (I'm 76 years old).
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Did you retain a lien on the property or have any sort of written agreement regarding repayment?
Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions