Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A friend of mine gave Enbridge an easement to use her property…

Customer Question
Hi. A friend of mine...
Hi. A friend of mine gave Enbridge an easement to use her property to re-route a pipeline. Enbridge cause all kinds of damage (erosion, re-lanscaping, etc.) but they are not willing to pay.
My friend cannot afford to get a lawyer unless he/she works on a contingency basis.
Do you have any suggestions for her?
Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/30/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
Did the easement language require Enbridge to return the land to the original condition after the installation of the pipeline---or did she just sign a document that they put in front of her?
Doug
Thanks for your reply. I just contacted my friend and she will email me the contract in a half hour or so, which I will then upload for you. (She says it did require Enbridge to return the property to its original condition; but Enbridge is apparently claiming that they are not responsible for damage outside the easement area). Also, she has a letter that she recently wrote to Enbridge with her claims against them. She will also email that to me and I'll upload it. Is that ok?How does this justmyanswer process work. Is there a time limit or question limit that I have on this issue?Also, can my friend communicate with you herself instead of me, because of course she knows the issue much better than I do?Thanks
Bernard
Good afternoon Bernard,
Please understand that while I do want to assist you, and I agreed to answer your question, but I didn't agree to review legal documents, or agree to communicate with people other than you.
I am agreeable to review the documents, however, that will be subject to you accepting an offer of additional services, for which there is an additional fee.
And while there is no set time limit, I don't provide unlimited time and effort either. The time I spend must have some rational relationship to the compensation that is received for my efforts, and I am sure that you can understand that.
As you have asked for additional services, I will offer you that and I will process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. If my offer is not something you are willing to agree to, please let me know and I will be happy to opt out. Perhaps another professional would be willing to assist you.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
Ok. I don't need you to review her contract or the letter she recently wrote to Enbridge or to communicate with her instead of with me. But you did ask me about the contract, so I am waiting to receive it from her and then I will answer the question you asked me about it.
Also, if I sign up for the 1-week free trial ("Get peace of mind with unlimited* answers for all your real estate law questions.
7 Day Free Trial then only $28/month. Cancel anytime.") can we keep discussing this as needed, free ("Subject to the fair use policy"), for that first week?
Good evening,
I will opt out because I am not prepared to agree to a lengthy ongoing conversation that takes place over a period of days or weeks, and that appear to be what you would like and expect.
Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.
I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.
Doug
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am a different attorney.
The attorneys are not made privy to customer's fee agreements or free trials. Those matters are handled by the site. Please contact costumer service with regard to any payment information. Customer Service will be happy to assist you. 1.***-***-****
I would like to see the contract language if you can attach it to this question. Please note that this site is open for public viewing and not private so you may need to cross out any personal information.
I look forward to receiving more information on the contract.