Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We live in Austin, TX. Next to our home is a multi-acre lot…

Customer Question
We live in Austin, TX...
We live in Austin, TX. Next to our home is a multi-acre lot that is going to become a development with several houses. The developer has not yet gotten his site plan approved by the city. We are wanting to buy a portion of the land directly adjacent to our property, to act as a buffer between our home and the homes that will be built there. The developer is willing to work with us, but we don't really know how to approach the transaction. I assume we will have to get our property "re-platted" to add the new property to our current property. When would this happen-- before or after purchase? Should the developer re-draw his site plan to include the property we are trying to purchase as a separate lot, and then worry about the re-platting later? Would the city approve something like this? What is the normal process?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/30/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.The developer would need to amend their subdivision to define the parcel you would be purchasing. It is not particularly difficult. A surveyor prepares the subdivision amendment and it is filed with the county.This would be done in conjunction with the sale contract between you and the developer. You would not close until the amendment was accepted by the county and recorded.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?