How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34414
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Austin, TX. Next to our home is a multi-acre lot

Customer Question

We live in Austin, TX. Next to our home is a multi-acre lot that is going to become a development with several houses. The developer has not yet gotten his site plan approved by the city. We are wanting to buy a portion of the land directly adjacent to our property, to act as a buffer between our home and the homes that will be built there. The developer is willing to work with us, but we don't really know how to approach the transaction. I assume we will have to get our property "re-platted" to add the new property to our current property. When would this happen-- before or after purchase? Should the developer re-draw his site plan to include the property we are trying to purchase as a separate lot, and then worry about the re-platting later? Would the city approve something like this? What is the normal process?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.The developer would need to amend their subdivision to define the parcel you would be purchasing. It is not particularly difficult. A surveyor prepares the subdivision amendment and it is filed with the county.This would be done in conjunction with the sale contract between you and the developer. You would not close until the amendment was accepted by the county and recorded.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?