Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Great grandmother will me property but my cousin has been collecting

Customer Question

Great grandmother will me property but my cousin has been collecting rent and paying half the property taxes for seventeen years. Who owes the property.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
1) IS your cousin living on the property? If so, with or without your permission?
2) To confirm, the DEED TO THE PROPERTY is in your name, correct?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.