Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can the Board of a Coop Housing Association refuse to change…

Customer Question
Can the Board of a...
Can the Board of a Coop Housing Association refuse to change the name on the shareholder certificate or title if there is no mortgage on it? I would like to pay my mortgage balance cash to be able to transfer the certificate to my son solely. (Maryland
)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/30/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
They have the right to approve your son as a stockholder of the coop; however, they cannot deny him for any discriminatory reason, under Maryland law. Thus, if he is qualified on all other standards that the board uses to admit new members, then they must admit him as a stockholder of the cooperative.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Thanks and good luck to you.
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer