How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7312
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is the Title company specialized in Coop (Maryland)able to

Customer Question

Is the Title company specialized in Coop (Maryland)able to take care of the settling proceedings if I have a judgement against me, from private firm that actually has not threatened me or acted upon collection?
What could prevent my son to buy my mortgage balance cash on a coop and get the title solely on his name ? I don't owe any money to the coop association. I don't owe any money to credit cards or student loan.I am unemployed and fighting a cancer. I am planning to file bankruptcy for the judgement, only debt I will have after mortgage off.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Do I understand your question correctly, that you have a co-op that you are going to be transferring, but it is being held up because of a judgment lien against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, not exactly. I have a judgement but so far I do not have a lien on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because it's a coop, laws or regulations are different: The title is hold by the Coop Housing Association and I am a "stock shareholder". But the bot***** *****ne is that the Title company I contacted to handle the settlement was not sure she could do it because of the judgement. She also encouraged me to consult a R.E or Bankruptcy attorney to see if they'll know if there is a debt collection or lien.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how your judgments attached to co-ops in Maryland. Most of judgments automatically become liens on real estate; however the co-op interest might be personal property in the form of a share of stock. Therefore, I'm not sure what the problem is that you were facing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, in other words, I can sell or transfer the title to my son, who will pay my mortgage off ? Please tell me if I do understand
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I get hold of this precious and indispensable information of knowing if my condo has a lien on it? Is the Title company able or does it have the power to prevent the transfer/sell if there is no lien on it but is aware of the judgment since I disclosed it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
It looks like you got the blind leading the blind here :-). If it were real estate I would know exactly what to tell you, but, as you said, co-op shares are different. The title company person should know the exact answer to that question. You should ask for a supervisor there. Then to confirm what you are told, contact a local attorney who is more familiar with how Maryland's judgment lien statute affects a coop share, if it does. The title company usually will not pay any lien unless the seller authorizes them to do so. Nor will they hold up a sale if a general judgment does not constitute a lien on the title. I hope this is helpful and not more confusing than the information you've already been given.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your very good advice and information. Thank you again!!!
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using JUST ANSWER. I can't stress too much having a local attorney review what you are doing .
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
Hello Again. Do you have any further questions? If not, then you now know the legal issues that are involved. I hope that you will take the time to enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.