Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If 25% or more of a overgrown hedge is over the property line…

Customer Question
If 25% or more of...
If 25% or more of a overgrown hedge is over the property line and killing the plants & grass on my property & the roots of the bushes are preventing the grass from growing do I have the right to cut the hedge back so when it re generatesitself it will be off the property line.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.Can you tell me what state is involved here?
Georgia
Give me a minute to research, thanks..
Here you are allowed to trim to the boundary line.If you trimmed further here it is likely ok but the law only references trimming to the boundary. I understand this is frustrating for you and I don't think t his will be an issue but in the future you are going to have to stop at the boundary.Anything further is considered trespass unless the neighbor consents to it.I am just trying to keep you out of trouble here.I doubt this is going to be a problem from what you did arguably it was damaging your property and keeping the grass from going. If you cannot get consent here in the future trim to the boundary and legally the neighbor has no complaints. Reference..http://www.thepeterscompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Tree-Liability.pdf This is the same here in Georgia for trees, shrubs , anything growing over the fence line. I appreciate the chance to help you today and for your patience.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Thanks again for letting me help you today.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.
Let me know if you have more follow up, it is never a problem.
I wanted to add I saw the additional information here, you may try to mediate this with the HOA or otherwise resolve it.You raise good points about it killing your grass.You can sue for the cost of resodding since his shrubs caused your grass to die.Get an estimate of the cost here and send demand letter.Small claims is an option here too.
Magistrate( small claims) forms if you want to seek damages from the shrubs here.
http://www.georgiacourts.org/councils/magistrate/forms.html
Thanks again.
Ray, Lawyer