RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I am realtor that recently listed a home, the property owner

Customer Question

I am realtor that recently listed a home, the property owner is out of state and recently had the tenants evicted and has asked me to attend the damage hearing in his behalf. Can I even do that?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon. In what capacity would you be attending? Did you perform the move out inspection and are needed to testify or does the owner want you to appear on their behalf to handle the hearing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To handle the hearing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did the move out inspection as well
You can be called as a witness, if needed, to testify to what you observed and saw when you conducted the move out inspection. However, you can not appear or act on behalf of the landlord, since this is a legal proceeding. The landlord either needs to appear on their own or retain legal counsel. Being a Realtor does not give you a right to legally represent them. As I shared, you can testify as a witness if there is a dispute as to the damages but can not attend and handle this on his behalf.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is what I thought. Thankyou
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please rate my help at this time, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!