How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34076
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived on this property years. It was willed to

Customer Question

I have lived on this property for 7 years. It was willed to my late husband by his grandfather but his parents put it in their name because he was a child. He had asked several times for it to be put in his name but his father wouldn't sign over the land. My husband has been dead for two years now. His father has been letting me and his granddaughter stay and hasn't asked for rent. Now he is giving me until the First of September to move my family and the mobile home I live in. Shouldn't it be my late husbands property if it was willed to him, what can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Yes, you may have a viable claim. However, so much time has passed that it may have extinguished due to the statute of limitations.
When there are competing title claims to a property either party may submit it to the local court to decide in a quiet title action. It may be worth an initial meeting with local counsel to examine that option.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.