How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue the apartment complex where I use to live. A fire

Customer Question

Can I sue the apartment complex where I use to live. A fire started in the utility unit next to my apartment and if we had not smelled the smoke the entire building would have burned. The smoke detectors did not go off, sprinklers did not go off nor fire alarm in the building. Can you recommend a lawyer that I can speak with? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
If you lost any property due to the fire, yes you can. (You need to show "damages" in order to have a viable cause of action, but the fire in the space controlled by the landlord is going to make them liable for any damage caused by the fire, in addition to the failure of the necessary fire suppression system).I would recommend trying to find a civil litigation attorney to represent you in this action (a solo practitioner or a small firm would be ideal for this type of matter). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).