How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What responsibility does a person have towards property that

Customer Question

what responsibility does a person have towards property that has been turned over to the city for taxes it has been ten years and has not sold are the estate responsible JO
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
If I understand your question properly, this is property that belonged to a deceased person, taxes were owed, and the property was "forfeited" to the city.The City has attempted to sell the property to pay these taxes, but has been unsuccessful.If my above assumptions are correct, the estate is still liable for the property, however, the beneficiaries of the estate are not liable for the estate's debts. This means that if there are no other assets of the estate, the problem is still the City's and the city will continue to try to auction the property in order to satisfy the tax lien and/or simply to dispose of the unwanted property. The estate is still nominally liable, but as there are no assets, it is "judgment proof" (even if there was a liability, the creditor could not collect), so this liability is in theory only.Again, the beneficiaries are not liable for the debts of the estate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for excellent advice this has answered my question
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.Bill