How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a contractor to abandon my septic tank and connect

Customer Question

I hired a contractor to abandon my septic tank and connect my house to the new city sewer line. After the abandonment, I stepped in a sink hole directly above the tank to a depth of about two feet causing a meniscus tear in my right knee. I was able to push a broom stick into the hole to a depth of almost 4 feet and discovered the bottom 14 inches of the stick was covered in a very wet mud.
The contractor was notified and did (three weeks later) come out and refill the hole. He did not use a tamper at either time and I feel he should be held accountable for not just refilling but also for my injury. My attorney suggested I get a professional opinion on whether or not I should pursue this matter in court as he has not admitted to fault saying essentially that "it happens sometimes".
What say you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. What type of attorney did you speak with? Was he/she not able to give you an opinion on this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually was able to find a few websites with information regarding proper fill for abandoning a septic tank. All specify using sand or other granular material which, in this case, was not used. I have one answer from an attorney from Legalease and she believes I have a valid case. I will pursue this with a local attorney. thanks