Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

One year and three months after I left an apartment in Seabrook…

Customer Question
One year and three months...
One year and three months after I left an apartment in Seabrook (Lanham) MD, I received a notice from a debt collector that I owed $1470.50. When I left that apartment I specifically asked if the final bill they gave me is all I owed. They confirmed this, and then again when I dropped off my final payment.
Now, the collection agency says I owe $1470.50 is for early termination, which no one has told be about in more than a year. I believe the property's management company told me the final bill, and I paid it.
The collection agency, FMS Financial Solutions in Greenbelt, MD, has been very beligerant in trying to recover the alledged debt.
I could use some help.
Thanks, ***** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Did you actually move out prior to the natural expiration of the lease?
.
Do you have anything in writing from the apartment stating that your account was paid in full?
.
.
thanks