Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The question I have is...Is the builder negligent, responsible,

Customer Question
Hi, The question I have...
Hi, The question I have is...Is the builder negligent, responsible, and is there a statue of limitation.
In my backyard there is an area where the landscape is sunk in. During heavy rains the water pools around the foundation, causing further landscaping erosion, and a mildew issue. one side of the house. My neighbors said it is a "builder's whole", where the builder of the home dug a whole in the ground , and put unwanted scraps, ie., unwanted lumber, and back filled it with dirt. the home was built in 1993. I look forward to your assistance with this matter
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
In GA, a claim for negligent construction (or fraud) must be brought within four years from the time the claim arises.
Because this home was built in 1993, I am afraid it may simply be too late to file this claim.
The matter is now out of statute of limitations.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.