Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I want to get a VA loan in Georgia mortgage on a home

Customer Question
I want to get a...
I want to get a VA loan in Georgia for a mortgage on a home that is on Georgia power leased property. Can you tell me if this kind of loan is possible on leased land?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is the mortgage for a mobile home or a traditional home structure?
Traditional home structure
Ok. Thanks. It is possible to obtain a mortgage for a structure on leased land, BUT it is often difficult to obtain financing for any period longer than the lease period....and when you do that, you're really not building much equity because once the lease expires....your property is landlocked.
So if the lease is say 15 years I can only finance for that period of time... I was told a va loan might be a problem for a leased property ... Is it possible or not.
The maximum loan term would mirror the lease term. Also, a VA loan is going to be much more restrictive than a traditional bank loan....so you certainly could run into trouble.
It is very likely that the VA rules would disallow a mortgage on leased property or it would require special consent to get it approved....which would likely be difficult to obtain.
Roger, Lawyer