Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a townhome and I pay fee alley way. My water

Customer Question
I live in a townhome...
I live in a townhome and I pay fee for an alley way. My water pipe broke between the water meter to my house. The leak was in between my house to the meter which include street. I was told I was responsible for the repair. I just don't understand if it my property and and make other truck and cars to drive my street why am I responsible for the huge repair ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is the place where the pipe broke on your property or in a common area/public right of way?

Yes I say so because anyone is allowed to walk the dogs drive and park

Ok. Thanks. USUALLY, the utility is responsible for the pipes that travel to the meter, and the property owner is responsible for the pipes leaving the meter to the house....... BUT, with a townhouse association, there could be common areas that common funds or community funds are used to repair.
So, you're going to have to determine whether or not the pipe break is on your personal property or on property that belongs to the association, etc.
If the break is on your property, it is likely your responsibility to repair. BUT, if the pipe is on property that you don't own, then you likely have a valid argument about not being required to pay for this repair on your own.
The best approach may be to ask the association to provide you documentation to support their allegation that the cost should be borne by you......and if you aren't satisfied, or if you don't believe the proof supports their claim, you should have a local lawyer read the documentation and determine your best course of action.
Roger, Lawyer