How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a townhome and I pay fee alley way. My water

Customer Question

I live in a townhome and I pay fee for an alley way. My water pipe broke between the water meter to my house. The leak was in between my house to the meter which include street. I was told I was responsible for the repair. I just don't understand if it my property and and make other truck and cars to drive my street why am I responsible for the huge repair ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is the place where the pipe broke on your property or in a common area/public right of way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I say so because anyone is allowed to walk the dogs drive and park

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. USUALLY, the utility is responsible for the pipes that travel to the meter, and the property owner is responsible for the pipes leaving the meter to the house....... BUT, with a townhouse association, there could be common areas that common funds or community funds are used to repair.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
So, you're going to have to determine whether or not the pipe break is on your personal property or on property that belongs to the association, etc.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
If the break is on your property, it is likely your responsibility to repair. BUT, if the pipe is on property that you don't own, then you likely have a valid argument about not being required to pay for this repair on your own.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
The best approach may be to ask the association to provide you documentation to support their allegation that the cost should be borne by you......and if you aren't satisfied, or if you don't believe the proof supports their claim, you should have a local lawyer read the documentation and determine your best course of action.

Related Real Estate Law Questions