Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently put an offer on a house using a Real Estate agent.

Customer Question
Before I started working with...
I recently put an offer on a house using a Real Estate agent. Before I started working with my current agent, I worked with another agent. I had stopped working with this agent 2 months ago. It seems that the agent I stopped working 2 months ago was given information about my offer, the stage it was in, and all such details. My financier and my current agent seem not involved in leaking the information. I have not talked to the Listing Agent, but apart from her, no one else would know such details.
1. Leaking such details is it legal
2. If it isn't do I have any options.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
My apologies but I am somewhat confused. Please allow me to understand and see if I am correct. Your agreement with the real estate agent was never terminated. You went ahead and signed with a new agent, and you made an offer. Now that agent is demanding that you pay the commission and you are trying to figure out if anyone is liable for discussing this information with the initial agent? Is that a fair understanding of the situation?
We had no agreement. Nothing signed. nothing documented. I stopped working with him. He isn't asking for any commission yet. He just let me know that he knew that I was buying a house. Yes and that is correct I am trying to understand if anyone is liable for discussing this information with the initial agent? It seems he knew the exact offer. He even knew the fact that the appraisal had come in lower and such things
Hi, There is no liability unless that person you are suspecting of informing him had some sort of an agreement with you pertaining to confidentiality. But beyond that I am not seeing an actual crime or a violation, and likewise if the current owner of the property informed him, there is likewise no violation unless you had a contract with that party that the negotiation has to be confidential (and informed them that this person who was once you agent is no longer privy to the information).Sincerely, ***** *****