Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are in our second trial mod. and it looks like we may not…

Customer Question
We are in our second...
We are in our second trial mod. and it looks like we may not be able to pay. My sister -in law and I are on the mortgage. She has never made a mortgage or tax payment. Her claim is that she cares for my ill wife and that she buys food. That was not our agreement when we too out the refinance. I have put about $300,000.00 towards mort. and taxes. Now she wants me because I am broke to do a quit claim to her, and pay her rent.And I should do all repairs around house.Who gets taxed in New york when you quit claim to another family member? What about my name still on mortgage. Need a little guidance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/22/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.If both of you are on the mortgage, then you are equally liable to the lender for the debt....so it really doesn't matter who pays or has paid what in the past as you're both bound to the lender.
Also, if you are both on the deed as joint owners, you are equal owners of the property, and she can't force you to give up your interest in the property short of a court order from a partition lawsuit. BUT, even if you were to give up your interest by issuing a quitclaim deed, you are STILL obligated to pay the mortgage.
So, quitclaiming the property to her will do absolutely nothing for your liability to the bank........Thus, it really makes little sense for you to do this and give up your ownership UNLESS she refinances the debt in her name only and relieves you of the obligation to pay.