How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my neighbor is blasting music all the time now and I have

Customer Question

If my neighbor is blasting music all the time now and I have called the police several times in the past and they haven't done a thing. Can I take her to court? The police said that as long as it's after 6am and before 10pm there is nothing I can do about
it. Is that true? What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to learn of this situation.
If the local law enforcement will not assist you (you can also try calling the local district attorney/prosecutor's office in addition to the police department - as the lead law enforcement agency they may take a more aggressive stance than the police department), you may need to file a private cause of action for "private nuisance" against your neighbor in civil court (see:
Here is a guide to these actions from neighboring New York state (the cause of action is very similar, and the handbook is well drafted for this particular cause of action):, but this cause of action is recognized in New Jersey, see:

Related Real Estate Law Questions