How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  real estate law
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to find out if I can have my neighbor pay for

Customer Question

I want to find out if I can have my neighbor pay for surveillance cameras that I want to install facing her property because she has tampered with the property on several instances. Is there any way the court can have her pay for it since I am only installing
the cameras because of her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardPlease explain "tampered with" the property.Also, has she been criminally charged with anything? How much will the cameras cost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw my neighbor clogging one of our sewage pipes and as a result our basement floods since. When I confronted her she apologized and said please don't go to the police I was just really mad at you. I have the entire conversation recorded. It also happened 3 years ago. She hasn't been criminally charged with anything because I did not go to the police. The cameras would be around $4000.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you. I suggest, that you can file a small claims lawsuit to have her pay for the surveillance cameras. I suggest that you first write her a letter and tell her what you are doing and why and request she pay for them or you will file a small claims lawsuit and then everyone will know what she did because it will be discussed in open court. Mail the letter certified with a return receipt requested. If she does not agree to pay and you two cannot come to an agreement on what she should pay, then file the small claims lawsuit. You can do that on your own, by getting those forms from the clerk of the court in the county where you live
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I brought it to her attention already and she said she will not pay a penny.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would the court order her to pay the $4000 for the cameras?
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
It's possible. They might order her to pay half. I suggest you need to prove that she did the damage by her actions; which may be your word against hers at this point since it was never reported.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
If you put it in writing as I suggested, then you can also ask the court to have her pay any of your legal costs associated with filing the claim since you tried to settle it out of court. And you are also mentioning the damage she did. So that can act as some legitimacy to your claim that she caused the damage. She might admit to it in writing in a reply