Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I moved in with my then girlfriend. I gave her half the rent…

Customer Question
I moved in with my...
I moved in with my then girlfriend. I gave her half the rent and half the deposit. I get mail Here and my drivers license has this address on it. My name is ***** ***** the lease, Can I get evicted?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/20/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If girlfriend lived there first and you moved in with her, then legally she is your landlord and you are her tenant. If she wanted to terminate your tenancy, she would have to have to have "just cause" to do so as NJ has limited grounds under which a landlord can evict.
.
These are the reasons under NJ law that a landlord can evict:
.
1) non-payment of rent, 2) disorderly conduct disturbing other tenants, 3) damage or destruction of the landlord's property, 4) violation of landlord's rules and regulations, 5) violation of lease agreement, 6) violation of a public housing lease provision prohibiting illegal use of drugs, 7) not paying a rent increase, 8) housing or health code violation requiring eviction, 9) landlord removes the property from residential use, 10) not accepting changes in the lease, 11) habitually paying rent late, 12) units converted to condominium or cooperative, 13) owner move-in to unit, 14) tenant loses job that included the unit, 15) conviction of a drug offense, 16) conviction of assaulting, attacking or threatening landlord, 17) engaging in drug activity, theft, assaults or threats against landlord and 18) conviction of theft.
.
.
So unless you violated one of the above grounds, then your tenancy couldn't be terminated as there would be no just cause to do so..
.
.
thanks
Barrister, Lawyer