How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34256
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am joint owner in a house, my name is ***** ***** deed. can i

Customer Question

i am joint owner in a house, my name is ***** ***** deed. can i force the other person to buy me out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Can you force the other owner to buy you out? Not directly, but you can take steps to liquidate any equity you have in the home. The way to accomplish this is through a partition action.
If you file a partition action with the County Court (the county where the property is located) the court will list the property for sale. Once the property sells the court will pay any expenses first (for example real estate commission closing costs and any mortgage on the property) and distribute the remaining funds from the sale between the owners.
Now, to accomplishes you would need to have a local attorney prepare and present the partition action to the court.
So there is a cost.
It may be you can convince the other owner to buy you out when you explain to them that if they refuse you will retain an attorney and force sale of the property.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Real Estate Law Questions