Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How to get neighbor to remove dead tree that is about to fall…

Customer Question
how to get neighbor to...
how to get neighbor to remove dead tree that is about to fall on my home
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RealEstateAnswer
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation like this, the first thing the home owner wants to do is protect themselves. They want to advise their neighbor of the problem, send them a letter placing them on notice and asking that they remedy the situation and take pictures as well. The reason I say this is because if the property owner knew about the tree and failed to remove it and take the necessary steps to prevent it from falling on their home, they could be found negligent. If that is the case, they could be responsible to pay for any damages suffered. Now, a homeowners policy should cover and protect you as well, so your damage will be repaired and they could go after and sue you neighbor for the cost. As far as being pro active now, you would need to sue them and ask specifically that the tree be removed, before it creates a greater home, since it appears to be in a place right now where it can fall and create damage. Once you get the court order it can be removed but without it, the owner would have to remove it or subject to being liable.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer