Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a deadbeat tenant on a month to month lease. He is

Customer Question
I have a deadbeat tenant...
I have a deadbeat tenant on a month to month lease. He is always late with the rent . I want to evict him. he tells me that according to law he has two weeks past the rent due date to pay so legally he is not late. I would like to know if this is true? If I file a motion for eviction can I say he is always late and can he claim the legally he is not late??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Are you in NYC or some other city in NY?
.
Does the written lease give him any type of grace period after rent is due?
.
.
thanks

I am in Bronx nyc. There is no rental agreement that gives him a grace period.

Ok, then if you are in NYC, then under N.Y. Real Prop. Acts Law § 711(2) you only have to give them a 3 day written notice to pay rent or vacate. If they don't pay the full amount due within that period, then you can move to evict them through the courts.
.
So no, there is no 2 week grace period by statute and the tenant is simply ignorant of the law or is outright lying to you.
.
.
thanks
Barrister, Lawyer