Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is property law attorney the same as real estate attorney?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.

Yes, those terms are used interchangeably.

(There are some sub-specialties of property law that would be separated out ("intellectual property" for example - but whenever they are not specified, a "property law" attorney is the same as a "real estate" attorney).

What is a freehold estate in fee simple absolute? Does this term still exist in United States?

It does, but it is not used much anymore.
A "freehold" generally refers to a life estate (an interest in land that only extends for the life of the person holding it), but this word would be conditioned, otherwise it would mean roughly the same thing as "fee simple" - below.
"fee simple" means an ownership interest in land and is used to distinguish between ownership and a "leasehold" or a leased interest in real property.
There are many other more complex forms of interest that can be had in land, again many of the more arcane terms are no longer used, but if you plan on going into property law, they are very important as they will arise when looking into a specific property's chain of title (similarly if you plan on going into business in the real estate sector).
There is a free online legal dictionary that you can use to help you in defining these terms as well: http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1724.