How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need help getting the rest of my ex-common law husbands personal

Customer Question

need help getting the rest of my ex-common law husbands personal belongins out of his apartment. He passed away in the apt, the property manager for the apts found him and called 911. I am the person of emergency contact and they got a hold of me ,went there needed verbal confirmation from next of kin said the officers there...I called his only son who just recently moved to the west coast of florida we are on the east coast of florida...he called me back and they confirmed I could have permission to take care of everything...he did come for few hours to help w/ memorial and cremation arrangements had to go back...I started cleaning out apt ...2 days later prperty manager changed locks on me and pulled stack of paperwork off the internet...because no will wants court document for me to enter apt...i did get a noterized statement from son but he doesn't want that...I don't have the money to get an attorney, neither does his son who has a wife and 2 children....he provides for....was also told he was not supposed to enter the apt for 60 days either,and he did....I am stuck between a rock and a hard place I don't know what to do...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
1) Did he leave any documents that name you as the Executor of his estate?
2) Is your son willing to provide you with something in writing that gives you the right to enter the property?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Related Real Estate Law Questions