Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I have recently purchase a condo in Chicago (South

Customer Question

I have recently purchase a condo in downtown Chicago (South Loop). We are hoping to install a door for the master bedroom as currently there is just an open archway to it from the living room. The HOA has denied our request stating that there would be a lack of natural airflow. Any suggestions?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a HOA rule or regulation they are enforcing? It is not any state or local law I know. Have you filed an appeal to the HOA board to explain your position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We haven't as yet filed an appeal. We just received an email from the contracted architect stating that we would not allowed to have the work done based on Chicago Building codes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Attached is the report from the architect.
Thank you for your reply.
So it is the way you plan on closing the bedroom off that is the issue, it is not that you cannot have a bedroom door completely, it is that you need to design your door and enclosure so to comply with the building code. So before you do anything the first step is you have to discuss with your architect or this architect how to accomplish getting privacy in your bedroom and altering your design to comply with the code, since the codes he is referencing are regarding egress from the residence as well and that is a code issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it actually legally considered a bedroom if it doesn't have a door though?
Thank you for your reply.
A bedroom is defined in IL as a private room capable of being closed off from other living space, which does not have its only entrance from another bedroom.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So technically if we can't close it off, for privacy etc., it can't be considered a bedroom, correct?
Thank you for your reply.
That is correct. Most times in condo units they close it off with a 3/4 wall not a full wall to not disturb the airflow and natural light.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you suggest I appeal it if it is rejected by the HOA?
Thank you for your reply.
I would suggest you get your architect to redesign your project before appealing with the HOA board.