Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our condo association has 4 buildings. All tenants except…

Customer Question
Our condo association has 4...
Our condo association has 4 buildings. All tenants except for one building are current in their maintenance fees which pay for water, lawn, trash and insurance costs. Each building is separately metered for water. Can we have the water to the building not paying cut off because we do not have the funds to pay for it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/12/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.[/I
I am sorry to learn of this matter. No, you cannot cut off the water or utilities to enforce the assessments. To enforce assessments you can place a lien against the property and then enforce the lien either with a civil suit for a money judgment, or through foreclosure, but you cannot use "self help" such as cutting off utilities, etc.
See generally: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/kentucky-hoa-coa-foreclosures.html

If we don't have the funds, can we just not pay the bill?

No, the HOA is responsible for the bill, if the HOA is responsible for paying the water and they use this as a means of enforcing the assessments (just not paying is another form of enforcing assessments) you are going to wind up incurring far more liability for the HOA than just a water bill, and you will end up owing money to the already delinquent owners.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer