How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The home built 1947 full basement, downstairs bedrooms finish

Customer Question

The home built 1947 full basement, downstairs bedrooms finish and egress windows,
low ceilings bathroom finish , completed before 1993 by prior home owner. There was
no permit done. I lived in house 13 years then rented. Now Iam selling and the city
gets involved not to code. what course of action. They want walls tore down, this
isnt fair. I have comply with all the plumbing code and passed.
Robert Duell
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. I would like to assist you today. Responses may have a short delay for review and research.
I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately, the building code rules are not flexible. The best solution I can suggest to you, short of complying with the code compliance, is to retain a local property law attorney and applying for a variance - I cannot promise that such a variance would be approved (these are discretionary and they depend heavily on who is in charge - so you really will want an attorney with experience working with these agencies and familiarity with the individuals - as well as experience in drafting and presenting your administrative application for a variance, and guiding it through this process (it is a multi-step process, involving review by multiple individuals and panels boards, with strict deadlines, so having a lawyer is to your benefit)).
You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).