Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We bought. A timeshare in Aruba, at the time we signed we were…

Customer Question
We bought. A timeshare in...
We bought. A timeshare in Aruba, at the time we signed we were told they had a buy back program in case we can't afford to pay for it. Well since that time we have tried and tried to get the property to buy it back and now it has benn sent to an collection agency. We need help fighting this we don't agree
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
The vacation club has been unresponsive, and later was told that they are currently not buying back any timeshares. This is so frustrating. This debt is now with the collection agency and has been reported to our credit as bad debt. Also the sales person at the timeshare indicated that because they don't take our social security number this will never be reported due to buying this in the Netherlands
6/13/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello and thank you very much for requesting for my assistance. I was offline when your post came in. Hence, the delay in getting back to you.
Regrettably, we do not offer any legal representation on this site. However, if you purchased this property in Aruba and your account has now gone to collections, there is really nothing the timeshare company can do to you unless the company comes to the U.S. and files lawsuit against you and prevails and then tries to go after your assets. Depending on your State, most or all of your assets could be exempt from attachment/garnishment—could be exempt from execution. So, it may be prudent to just ignore the collection action.
Also, if your Social Security Number was not used in the transaction, then this transaction should not appear on your credit report.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law