Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How to get formr owner of home to vacate after Tax Deed Sale…

Customer Question
We purchased a tax deed...
We purchased a tax deed. We have the deed from the treasurers offices. When we went to the home we discovered the home owner is still in the house. We are in Tulsa County Oklahoma.
We thought the home was empty. The deeded owner died last fall (the wife of the man). He is a veteran, he has cirrohisis. Although the house from the exterior is in good condition the conditions inside are terrible.
he has pulled up the bulk of the carpet. He is sleeping on a twin bed mattress in the kitchen. The house is filthy. We are concerned for his position, both physically and physically. We are concerned about liability of him staying in the house. And we need to begin the repair process to avoid losing our investment.
As a retired veteran he volunteered to us that he has an income of $2500 / month. We have pulled together a list of local apartments that are potential residences for him and his small dog.
We need to know how to legally and respectfully ***** ***** man move out of our house.
Please let us know your thoughts.
One other point as long as this does not increase liability for us...in order to achieve a smooth transition for him we would even be willing to pay $500 towards first months rent (which range from $395-$700 based on our brief research of local apartment complexes).
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/11/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You have two options.One is cash for keys offer him a sum to leave now and pay him.Thats saves you eviction.

Otherwise you need to give him a five day notice to quit and then file a forcible entry and detainer suit.He is now a holdover tenant.This is going to take you another two three weeks minimum.

Again you may try to pay him to leave, make sure you get him out here before you pay.And change locks immediately if he leaves and consider having someone occupy this place while you are remodeling.Maybe offer him $350 here to leave.

Notice you can staple it to front door, hand him a copy , send one cretified mail to the house.This proves up notice.Take a dated picture of the notice on front door.

http://rentallease.net/oklahoma/oklahoma-five-5-day-notice-to-quit-for-the-nonpayment-of-rent/

Eviction forms.

https://www.oklahomacounty.org/courtclerk/Forms/ForcEntDetPetition.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.