Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We have a second home condo in Daytona Beach but they do not

Customer Question
allow animals is there a...
We have a second home condo in Daytona Beach but they do not allow animals is there a way we can legally have our cat there with us? Is there a law that would allow for us to have him there with us? Thanks for your answer.
Diane Hudson
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/10/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Hi Diane,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
When a person buys a home in an area that is governed by a board, they're agreeing to abide by the laws of the community. One of the things the board has a right to regulate is whether a person is allowed to bring pets into the community.
The law requires a condominium association to allow service or emotional support animals for residents who have disabilities, but there is unfortunately no right have a pet in a community that doesn't allow them. Animals that are trained to provide assistance are not considered pets and cannot be prohibited.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer