Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Buyers have failed to comply with a written contract

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/10/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
RealEstateAnswer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me what they failed to do or were required to do? Just want to get a little more information about the situation. Thank you.
The sellers failed to comply to the contract and the terms with regRding making repairs
The closing date is scheduled for June 12, 2015, and they have notified me that the repairs will not be done. I'm relocating from a different city and paying hotel and living expenses, in good faith believing these repairs to be done. The property has been inspected on two occasions and the repairs are not completed.
Thank you for the additional information. If the sellers agreed to make the repairs and that was relied upon by the buyer and now they are not going to do them or close, they would be in breach. The buyer can then turn around and sue the seller for damages suffered, as a result of the breach. When the home was inspected and these repairs were discovered, the parties needed to agree upon fixing them, at what cost and how it would be handled. If they failed to do so, they would be liable for the damages incurred by the buyer and in this case the hotel, expenses and anything else which was relied upon when the issue came up. Had the seller stated that they would not make them and the home was being sold as is, that would be a different story but based upon what you shared above, they originally said they would do them and are now turning around and say they will not. The contract should also have a damages clause, which should address what options you have as far as recovery for the breach, so make sure you review those, so you know what else they would be liable for. You can make a demand and if they do not settle or close and make the repairs or reduce the price to offset the cost, then you can file suit.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Can I hire you to represent me
I am sorry but the site does not allow it. However, you can contact the Texas Bar and I have provided the link below, for an attorney referral.
http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/DoYouNeedaLawyer/Certified_Lawyer_Referral_Services/default.htm
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!