Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Ok. So I spoke to the bank today in regard to my home equity…

Customer Question
Ok. So I spoke...
Ok. So I spoke to the bank today in regard to my home equity line of credit which will expire on 7/20. I was told I would need to redo the process of applying for a new loan, which I would not get right away because my first mortgage is upside down. I was then told that even if I was in the process of getting a new loan, the one that expires on 7/20 would automatically go into collections, which would ruin my excellent credit and thereby cause the new loan to be a higher interest rate and a higher payment, neither of which can I afford. Im not sure what to do now because if I am going into collections anyway, why try to renew. Not sure what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/8/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Are you saying that your line of credit is already in arrears---that you are not current on your payments?
2. Did the line of credit loan have a final pay-off/balloon date of 7-20-2015
Doug
The system tells me that you responded but your reply did not post to the thread. Please re-post your reply so I can see what information you are trying to provide.
Thanks in advance.
Doug
Tina, Lawyer