Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in Wisconsin, am about to lose my job and cannot afford

Customer Question
my rent. I don't...
I live in Wisconsin, am about to lose my job and cannot afford my rent. I don't know what to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/7/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RealEstateAnswer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Was the rent due June 1 and not yet paid?
I paid for June, might have enough for July. My lease is up February 28, 2016. There are no jobs in my field within reasonable commute. So, I will either have to take a job out of my field--which means a huge pay cut. Or I'll have to relocate.
Thank you for the additional information. If you think you can get through until the end of July and know you will have to move, you likely want to provide your landlord with notice at this time. This way, they can try and find a new tenant to take possession and/or you can try and find someone to sublease . If you were to vacate, the landlord would need to try and mitigate damages and find someone but until they do, you would be liable for the rent and they could sue you, for the damages suffered. The issue with your job is not a legal basis to break the lease, so you would be responsible to pay and need to hope the management is willing to work with you, to minimize the cost.
I doubt this landlord will work with me. It's well known he's out for one thing: money. He rarely gives deposits back and often takes tenants to court. In my building alone there are 2 empty apartments, one empty for some time.
You would need to try and find someone to sublease then, if there are vacancies, since it may not be a sought after rental building. If you do end up vacating, he would need to make a good faith effort to rent it but if he can not and it remains idle, he would have a legal right to sue you for the damages. I know it is not ideal or what you were hoping to hear but the obligation would remain.
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer