How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42828
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my husband bought a piece of land and put his sister's name

Customer Question

If my husband bought a piece of land and put his sister's name on it with his I am entititled today any portion of it this was purchased prior to our marriage in 2009 he passed away on May 6 2015. Also he owns a property next door to his parents that I was told I have no right to it because it was purchased prior to our marriage, that I could live there for the rest of my life if there was a house on that property, he also has payed taxes for over 30yrs on for properties that were owned by his grandmother and his parents. He is the oldest brother of 10 siblings and none of them ever helped or offered to help him pay can you tell me what rights I have if any thank you for your time
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
Here in Texas if your husband has no will to probate the courts applies the laws of intestacy which means no will.
Under the laws of intestacy you would have a 1/3 life estate in separate property such as the land bought in 2009 prior to marriage.You also get the entire community estate assets here.
A simple pie chart to help you understand..
You may want to consider your own lawyer to make application for intestate probate to claim your rights and be appointed personal representative.
The court would apply these laws of intestacy to all the property of the estate that he had title to at time of death.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I am sorry for your loss of loved one.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.