How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My two brothers and I inherited our parents home in 2007 after

Customer Question

My two brothers and I inherited our parents home in 2007 after my mother passed away, my father passed in 2005. They both have been living in the house since then. I was the executer of the estate and youngest of the three. My oldest brother quickly changed the locks and stopped me from fulfilling my duties as an executor. I got a lawyer who just tried to get me and brothers friendly again so I can get my things done and leave them alone. I couldn't because my brother is a violent raging man..So the only thing I got from the lawyer was a letter to my brothers explaining my rights as an executer and gave them a copy of dads trust stating I inherit everything from my father and to let me into the house. My brother agreed. I explained to the Lawyer that I can't go in he is too I never went. Now I am finally free from the pain and fear I am ready to claim what is mine..I want them to buy my part of inheritance and get my name off the deed. I don't even think they are taking care of the property either. Where do I start? and please don't tell me to communicate with them..I can't due to fear of my older brother.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to learn of this situation, this is actually a good case for you to try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.In this way, the mediator will be the one making contact with your brother (not you) and they can even set up a mediation where you don't have to meet with them face to face. It is possible you could set up a way in which you could get your possessions, or arrange for a buy out, without having them present, or having someone else go and retrieve your belongings for you.