Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have lived in a family home years. Now the owner

Customer Question
we have lived in a...
we have lived in a family home for 15 years. Now the owner of the house, who is also my cousin wants to sell it. what are our rights?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
RealEstateAnswer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Are you on title to the home or have any legal rights in it? Is there anything in writing evidencing any restraints on the sale of the home?
no
Thank you. Without having any type of legal right or interest in the home or an agreement with your Cousin, they have a legal right to sell it, if they desire. I certainly understand that you have lived there for 15 years but if they no longer want to have you living there and want to sell it, they have every legal right to do so. If there was something in writing, for your protection, it would be a different story but the time you have lived there does not allow you to prevent the sale or continue to stay, until you decide to vacate.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!