Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Taking care of mom who is 84. sister walked out 2+ years ago

Customer Question

taking care of mom who is 84. sister walked out 2+ years ago telling her she hated her never wanted to see her again and took some things. I have power of attorney and live on disability ck. I'm broke and ill. mom has land and house and is running g out of money. can I qit claim property to myself and use my retirement to get her thru til she dies.sister In will gets half but she abused dad by hiytting and cursi g him. he was 89 with alzheimers. he died two weeks later with me alone by his side.and then mom. can she still get share?,
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
A share in an estate is based on being related to the deceased, not how bad the relationship was. You cannot use a POA to quitclaim the house to yourself. If Mom is able to sign the deed in front of a Notary Public she can gift the home to you and there will be nothing in her estate for other heirs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what paperwork is I volved to "gift" the house to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all she needs to sign is the deed. wd that be in her papers or at court house
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
A new deed form is prepared by an attorney, and that is what is signed and recorded with the County Recorder.
I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.